Using your Class List Spreadsheet
to Average Grades
Spreadsheets are the perfect environment for organizing data that
requires calculations. They are frequently used for accounting,
bookkeeping, and record keeping.
A spreadsheet document is also called a worksheet.
Using a ClarisWorks Spreadsheet for making a class list or a data
chart is useful, but the power of a spreadsheet lies in its
calculation capabilities. You can enter formulas and data, and the
computer will do the rest! No more averaging grades at the end of the
- Open your blank class list. The first thing we
will do is adjust the column width so there are more columns for
- Highlight all the cells in the top row (except
the cell that says "Name" and "Average").
- Click on Format and drag to Column width. I
used size 36 for the example below.
- Click on the cell "Average". Click on Format
and drag to Column width. I used size 50 for that column.
- To add a formula to the spreadsheet, highlight
the first cell in the "Average" column.
- Click on Edit in the menu bar and drag to
Paste function. Scroll down until you see
AVERAGE(number1,number2,...). Click on AVERAGE to highlight it.
Then click on OK.
- The formula is now in the Entry bar on your
- Delete all the information inbetween the
- Click in the first cell after "Kim", and drag
across all the cells in Kim's row up to but not in "Average".
- This is how your Entry bar should look
- When you press return, your Entry bar will be
blank and it should say #NUM in the Average column.
- To test to see if this formula is working, put
in some math quiz scores in each cell in Kim's row. As you enter
your data, notice how you always have the average.
Technology Resource Teacher
Back to The Technology Resource Page